What is the Mediterranean Diet?
Generally speaking the Mediterranean Diet is a diet composed of foods popular in Italy Greece and Spain. It uses the basic of healthy eating such as , fruits vegetables fish and grains. While adding a Mediterranean spice with olive oil and a glass of red wine maybe.
This diet also put an emphasis on:
- Regular exercise regime
- Using herbs/spices instead of salt to flavor food.
- Using olive/canola oil instead of butter.
Benefits of Mediterranean Diet
Resarch have shown that the Mediterranean Diet may :
- Reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Reduce risk of cancer.
- reduced risk of Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s diseases.
Disadvantages of Mediterranean Diet
- It’s moderately pricey.
- A lot of adjustments need to be made in order to follow properly.
The thing about this diet is that it’s contains a lot of ingredients that are not low fat. With Olive Oil Canola oil, red wine and occasionally splurging on something sweet you can still enjoy life, like they do in the Mediterranean.
So you think you can embrace the Mediterranean life style?
image from http://www.womensheart.org